Tuesday, April 7, 2009

I heart basil.

I'm sure everyone has their favorite herb. For me, there is nothing like the taste of fresh basil. I think it makes pretty much anything taste better. Case and point? Dinner tonight. Baby Lehr is quite demanding already, and I find myself quickly going from a little hungry to absolutely starving. Tonight was no exception. I wanted to eat dinner, and so had to make it quickly. I decided on an easy TBLT (that's turkey bacon, lettuce and tomato) with avocado. But, since my early elementary days, where I ate cheese and Miracle Whip sandwiches every day, I have really not been a fan of mayonnaise. But, standard BLT sandwiches have mayo on them (I don't think they would taste very good with mustard). So, I spiced up some reduced-fat hellman's with a clove of garlic, some freshly chopped basil and a little bit of lemon juice to thin it out. I also baked the sourdough rolls on my pizza stone for a couple of minutes, which made a huge difference over toasting. The rolls turned out crunchy on the outside and chewy in the middle. SO good. Dinner was done in less than 20 minutes, and was delicious. Definitely let the mayo sit to combine all of the flavors for at least an hour--I didn't, and the garlic taste was still pretty strong. However, I do think the mayo was what made the sandwiches so good. If I weren't so full, I would already be craving another one . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment